1. The flag was first hoisted in public for the first time on February 15th 1965. Since then, we celebrate the Flag Day on that same date.
2. Our fellow francophones call it l’Unifolié (the one leafed) as we sometimes prefer using the term Maple Leaf Flag. Nevertheless, it’s official name is the National Flag of Canada.
3. The eleven parts of the maple leaf do not symbolise anything. A real representation of a maple leaf would look like a big blob when floating in the wind.
4. The red and white do not symbolise anything regarding the flag. They are simply the colors attributed to us by King George V in 1921 to reflect the Crusades in which the Englishmen adorned a red cross and the Frenchmen, a white one.
5. The two red bands represent the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
6. In the 1960, the idea of creating flag that would be prominently red wasn’t popular in the midst of the communist fear. Was this the beginning of the red invasion?
7. Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson didn’t want our current flag’s design but left the members of parliament vote as they see fit and they chose the current version. You win some, you lose some Lester B.
8. There are no laws prohibiting the burning of a Canadian flag. Nevertheless, etiquette is suggested by the ministry of Canadian Heritage and burning the flag doesn’t seem to be encouraged.
9. In 2012, a Condo board requested that a Canadian flag be taken down by a condo owner, because it was breaking the harmonisation of the building. The government was appalled by such a request and went on to pass a bill that would allow every Canadian to display its national flag. The National Flag of Canada Act ‘encourages [any owner or board] to allow the National Flag of Canada to be displayed’. The wording doesn’t seem to prohibit anything though.
10. According to the etiquette, the Canadian flag should be given the most important place when displayed with other flags. For example, if they’re an even amount, Canada’s flag should be the first one starting at the left, and in the event of an uneven amount, it should float in the middle.